Monday, March 25, 2019

Adoption Madness... Part 1

Sorry again for not posting in some time.  My husband and I have been embarking on the adoption process.  It's kind of been a combination mad dash/ time of snafoos that sometimes make me feel like I'm living in a sitcom.  I will do the following blog as a 3 part series.

About 2 or 3 years ago, my husband and I considered fostering a child.  For a variety of reasons, mostly revolving around what would be best for the child that we do have, we thought that wasn't a good choice at least at this time.  Both my husband and I would definitely consider it in the future, especially when any children we have are older.

My husband and I had done a lot of talking back then, and we knew that it was not most important for us to have a biological child, it was most important for us to do God's will, and to have a larger family.  Our decision to pursue adoption was not impulsive, but the logistics of getting everything together and actually doing it was pretty rapid.

We had to get our application in before the end of 2018 to lock in 2018 prices, which, when you're talking about something like adoption fees is pretty significant.  Then, we were supposed to get everything done within the next 3 months.

There's a lot of stuff to get done, plus 30+ hours of training and book reports.  I hadn't thought I'd ever be doing a book report again, but I almost started to feel like I was back in veterinary school.  Plus, there's normal life, my husband and I having a busy work schedule and all the other things we have going on.

The classes were interesting and helpful and my husband and I actually tried to make "date time" out of some of them.  We were also fortunate to have good friends help with some of the babysitting because we couldn't take our son to the classes with us.  Some of the things we needed to do to get our house ready for inspection were things we really should have done anyways, but now had a reason to do it.

We actually went on a shredding party and were able to fill up at least 6 extra large boxes with shredded papers; including documents from before we were married and even before I had moved to this area.  All stuff that we had always wanted to do, but just hadn't had the time to get around to became a priority.

Cleaning and organizing the house had already been important to me, but took on new meaning when the thought of a home inspection loomed.

There were doctors appointments, TB tests, drug tests, background checks, pretty much everything you could think of to ensure that any children would be safe and protected in the future.

The funny thing is; the hardest part of this whole process was actually the home inspection and fire safety.  Not an issue either my husband or I thought would be hard.....  Read on for Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment