Friday, May 1, 2015

Horse prepares me for motherhood nap time battles...

I'm sure every toddler has a temper and tries to exert their independence.  One day I was reminded of another one of God's creatures who was akin to my two year old...

Each day of my horse rotation started around 5 am.  I would get up, possibly get some coffee and try to get out of the house in 15 minutes.  I would stroll my way into the large animal clinic (maybe stroll is not the correct word, dragging my butt in with a gimpy walk and hunched over back was probably more realistic).  I would park my coffee and any clothes I might want to keep clean on the table and begin to check on the gang.  I had about 3-4 cases to be responsible for each day (the typical was 1 or 2).  I had one "lifer", what we would call patients who were destined to be in the clinic longer than you are.  He was a pretty sweet horse, but he would try to get the better of you.  Most days were a mental battle.  100 pound girl vs 1100 or more pound horse.  Who do you think would win if the battle was about being physical?

Holding the horse by his harness, I looked into his eyes with an unspoken communication, "I'm not going to take any of your garbage, I'm trying to help you, I don't care if you can kick my butt, I'm too tired to care, I'm sore and every bit as grouchy as you are, you are going to take your medicine if I tell you to.  No, you will not rear up and kick me, just try, I'm Polish, Irish and a little bit of Scottish and German, I can guarantee you I'm more stubborn than you are."

The horse lifted me up in the air (by the simple act of knocking his head back, I was holding on to the halter and was airborne.  While I've always dreamed of flying, this was not the flight pattern I had in mind).

The horse initially fought, I said "No" in as manly a voice as I could handle, shoved the medication down the back of his throat and then rub his head and say, "Good Boy, now I will get you some grain."

Back to the toddler.  He is a sweet and wonderful boy.  That being said... Within the first two days of his life, the maternity nurse (you know the nurses that all they see are new moms and new babies), commented on how "passionate" he is.  Well, that has proven to be true.  I feel assured that later in life his passion and persistence will serve the world well, but that doesn't change the difficulty of harnessing a toddler...

One day recently, he decided that even though he was very tired, he just wanted to play or read a book.  The look in his eyes almost looked like a curious scientist performing an experiment, I'm not sure if it was his thought, but I would believe it if he decided, "today I'm going to see if I can get mommy to let me not take a nap, can I get my way?"  I told him, "no you can't read or play, you can have mommy rock you or sleep in the crib."  For an hour and a half, I carried him back and forth between the crib and the rocking chair.  He said in a confused toddler voice, "no play? no book?"  "Sleep," I responded to him.

The battle of wills went on and as we both got crankier, to re-enforce my resolve (because I don't really think it did anything for him as I am convinced toddlers are not logical), I stated, "I guarantee you I am more stubborn than you, I've had over 34 years of experience and I will not back down.  You will take a nap."  That was when I remembered when I had said something along those lines before.  I had never thought that my equine rotation would prepare me for motherhood....

I did end up winning the nap time battle, but I must confess I had to take a 20 minute nap myself to recover.  He blissfully slept for over two hours, a rarity for him.  Alleluia.

No comments:

Post a Comment