Thursday, June 1, 2017

89 bottles of beer and are we there yet?

We took a long trip to see my in-laws over the holiday week.  We are talking 12 hours in the car.  Within the first 5 minutes of the trip, my son started asking, "are we there yet?".  He was actually a really good sport for the trip and thanks to the DVD player from my parents, we all made it through the drive in relatively good shape.

We then drove another 4 hours to go to my husband's alma mater for the first time for my son and myself.  Toward the end of that day, my son asked, "Can we please stop driving, I don't want to just drive around in the car."  After getting out and walking (and him falling asleep in the stroller on the trip after he visited all the sports stadiums) we were back in the car.  I was trying to distract him from the fact that we had thrown out his milk from lunch.  "I want my morning milk," he kept repeating.  "Well, your morning milk is now yogurt, or cheese curds or something gross in the trash can."  My logic didn't help.  Instead, I resorted to trying to get him to sing my husband's alma mater fight song.  He did this for a while and then a little later in the trip, he randomly said, "89 bottles of beer on the wall."  I did a 180 with my head.  Where on earth did he learn that song from?  Oh no, with his fascination with numbers, my husband and I could be in for a VERY long ride back home.  Fortunately, he explained to us exactly where he heard it from, Linus and Lucy's brother Rerun on one of his Charlie Brown shows.  Our son also likes rockets and space ships and numbers so much currently that we get him to eat his food by counting backwards from 10.  10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 LIFTOFF!  Who knew eating 10 bites of something could be so exciting!

His other favorite song right now is one he learned at school-  "Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.  Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.  Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars- Going around the Sun.  Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune- Going around the Sun.  And don't forget, little baby blue toad.  Don't forget, little baby blue toad- don't forget, little baby blue toad- Going around the Sun!!!"  This is sung over and over with much energy.  My son must have initially thought that "Pluto" was little baby blue toad and now we repeat this because it's cute and it makes us laugh.  Also- Pluto is no longer considered a planet, so why not Little Baby Blue Toad?

No comments:

Post a Comment