Friday, April 13, 2018

Physics and Ikea

I have often wondered why veterinary school has so many pre-requisites.  It’s amazing to me that I sometimes use my undergrad pre-law background more than my hard-science classes I took.

Sure, chemistry and biology were somewhat helpful in vet school to understand physiology and how the body “works”. But the 4 physics classes I took?  Nope- when a dog gets hit by a car or a cat falls 5 stories, I don’t stand there and calculate velocity or the relationship with gravity.

I didn’t hate taking physics, I found it somewhat interesting, but when I had to cram in roughly 300 college credits of material into my brain, it seemed like the less relevant of my classes.

Then it hit me-literally.  As my 5’2, 125 pound frame was trying to negotiate two extra large shelves that were taller, wider and close to heavier than me out of Costco and into my car, I used my knowledge of levers, gravity and positioning to get the laws of physics to get those large objects into my car.

I got a little help from a couple of kind men who took pity on me, but I ultimately got them into my car.  I backed my car up to the garage and then was able to slowly slide them into my garage.  My husband came home and checked out the boxes and was confused how I could have gotten something so heavy into the garage by myself- “physics” and a little help from some nice guys...

I then found myself just recently putting something from IKEA together.  It was a reminder to me that the offer of assembly for a cost is maybe not that bad an idea.  My four year old tried to help me and it became an exercise in keeping him safe and struggling to grow in patience.  I almost think they should put an IKEA challenge on those survivor-skills challenges on TV- it is a battle of mental and physical strength...  who knew that all those credits I took in physics would pay off in household skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment