Friday, May 4, 2018

A Year With Mary Book Review

When I first obtained "A Year With Mary" by Paul Thigpen, its appearance was the first thing that struck me.  It is an elegant book with gold-lined pages and leather-bound with a ribbon to mark your spot.  It is a book that definitely resets me from the "Kindle-reading digital world" we seem to live in.  It would be great for a gift and I intend to give it to a few special people in my life.  There's something about having a well-bound book that is elegant, and a beverage of your choice, that just seems to put you in the "meditate and enjoy" mood.

I liked how the book is organized.  It may be "A Year With Mary" but you don't have to start on a particular day and you can skip through and look at particular themes.  I often find myself starting the "one reading a day for a year books" and getting frustrated after a few hectic days are missed and then I fall behind and just give up.  I would say this book works well for "a reading day, as able" which is perfect for a busy women's life.

It is well organized and laid out in a manner that is easy to read.  With reflections from the Saints and Fathers of the Church, a thought to meditate on and a closing prayer, it's very doable to get a "small retreat" all in just one page.  Along with it's rich content, the physical presence of the book sets it apart.  As you physically hold it, it engages you in your walk with Mary.
This book was a joy to read, and although it may be titled "A Year With Mary," I think I will be reading it for many years to come as the meditations and content are timeless.



I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment