Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Poison Alert

Recently, I was made aware of an incident where there was a person who didn't like squirrels.  I'm not familiar with the person, but my guess is, they didn't like animals.  (I mean- if you have a dog or a cat, then you wouldn't have a squirrel problem... just a thought).

Apparently, the individual put out rat poison to poison the small mammals.  They didn't really think out what they were doing or the consequences of it and I will refrain from putting in the many judgmental comments I could share.

Often times, when there is a poison such as rat poison, it doesn't just affect the animals you want it to.  Whether it be a rat, mouse or squirrel you are trying to kill, it puts dogs, cats, other mammals and even our majestic eagles and birds of prey and larger predators at risk.  Besides the ability of other non-targeted animals getting into the "traps" or places where the poison is put out, it's very easy for the poison to drain into different areas (if you put it under your porch and you have a good rain with wet ground, it can easily seep into the lower areas of your property).  We saw this quite often when I worked in the emergency room.  The newer poisons are even more dangerous than the first generation ones, some of the poisons there are not antidotes for.

Don't listen to your local hardware store salesperson for what "trap" or "poison" to use.   That's akin to me asking my manicurist for a good solution for acne.  Ask a professional before you do something that could have many, many consequences (and before you have all your neighbors very mad at you).

No comments:

Post a Comment