Thursday, October 25, 2018

Catholic School

My husband and I are very grateful that our son is able to go to Catholic School.  It's a small school, where there is only one class for each grade and everybody kind of knows everybody.  So far, there have only been benefits to that.  I'm sure at some point in the next couple of years we might see a disadvantage to the "small town" effect, but overall I feel that most parents and staff are so busy that no one is really a busybody.  At least so far I haven't seen gossiping and I think the no-gossip culture is because there's a no-gossip principal.

There are tons of reasons I love my son's school, but one of them I witnessed the other day in two
kids at lunch who were having a disagreement.  One of them came to me to tattle on the other.  The two girls were telling each other they weren't friends anymore.  It was a classic she-said, she-said.  I had flashbacks to mean girls in my youth.  As the conversation became whining nonsense, I said, "Wait!".  They stopped talking.  I said, "How about you pray a Hail Mary for her to have more patience," and turning to the other girl, "you pray for her to have more patience."  I went on to the next distraction in the lunchroom and turned back watching the girls finish their prayers with the Sign of the Cross.  I also witnessed them back to playing with each other on the playground.  I was shocked on a couple of different levels.  They actually listened to me and they actually did what I asked and it seemed to work!  I thought to myself, "wow!  that's a tool in the toolbox I wouldn't have been able to use in public school for sure!"

My husband and I also really like how every day starts with prayer in the Church.  The whole school gathers together and says morning prayers and prays for everybody.  They also have a time of quiet before their busy day starts.  The principal also engages them in a lesson and they might practice singing.  We think it's a great way for them to start the day.

There is one downside to this way of starting school though...Everybody in the whole school is together so if you are tardy.... Well...  I call it the "Walk of Shame".  Fortunately my kid doesn't seem too ashamed, but it's certainly embarrassing for me when it is obvious that I brought my kid to school late.  The Kindergarten sits in the very front, so everybody, from all the kids and staff and teachers to the principal can see who came in late.

The other day, my son was having a meltdown during this time and several people, even days later said, "We saw him crying the other day, he was so sad."  The science teacher and both of his teachers came out to the back of the church to try to make him feel better.  My kid wasn't embarrassed by his meltdown, but I was.  Oh.. the shame.  Thankfully, one of the other parents related a story to me that made me feel I was not alone.

The next day (I'm not sure if there's a connection) the principal came up to me and said, "We are so glad you are here, your family has been a wonderful addition."  My husband asked me why she would say that.  I told him, "Maybe because I spend half my life around the school volunteering and stuff?  I don't know, but it was nice she said that."  Maybe the next time my son has to do "The Walk of Shame"  I won't be so ashamed, maybe I will remember that all of us parents are just trying to get to school and work on time and some days... Well, some days are just some days.

No comments:

Post a Comment