Friday, November 2, 2018

Book Review: Cloud of Witnesses: A Child's First Book Of Saints

I had the pleasure to receive "Cloud of Witnesses: A Child's First Book of Saints" as a surprise in the mail.  It was perfect timing, as my son is just beginning to learn about the Saints in his kindergarten class.

It is a board book.  So it's very durable, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the material to be richer than what I would expect from a typical board book.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since the Saints do demonstrate the richness of the Church!

My mom commented that some of the quotes from the Saints are pretty advanced.  Some are more simple prayers and acclamations from the Saints and some have more material in them.  "Pray, hope, and don't worry" by Saint Pio is fairly understandable, but I don't know if it's even possible to bring a quote by St. Augustine to a 3 year old's level.  I think this is actually a good feature of the book because all age levels can enjoy the book (and the younger sibling can't easily destroy it).  I also think that many children's books underestimate the intellectual capacity of kids.  My 5 year old enjoys listening to some books that are at the middle school and high school level and as far as I know, he's not a child prodigy.  
Cloud of Witnesses: A Child's First Book of Saints is a great way to introduce young kids to Saints and to have as a spiritual resource for them even as they grow older.  My son, the five year old has requested me to read it over and over. It is mom and 5 year old- approved!



“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”




No comments:

Post a Comment