Saturday, November 10, 2018

Finally...

I think I finally have synchronized my computer and my phone so that everything is getting the same e-mail.  For a couple of months now, I'm not sure how it happened, they got out of sync.  Since it involves setting new passwords, and that is difficult to do when not at home, it's kind of fallen to the bottom of my to-do list.  My to-do list has kind of not been my top priority lately.  Between fighting off colds, travel and just trying to keep up with things (I've had some schedule changes, changed work opportunities, stuff come up at my kid's school and unexpected things like needing 4 new tires), I haven't gotten around to this task.  Slowly, my unread e-mails have been approaching 60,000 on my computer and 5,000 on my phone.  I've gotten off most e-mail lists but there's still school stuff that I get, things from friends and family, things I need to read/do for work and just lots of stuff I eventually need to get to.  It doesn't help that I somehow got elected to leadership of multiple volunteer opportunities (not by choice) and I have to try to keep those things going too.

I don't like deleting e-mails I haven't read and I like trying to catch up on stuff from friends and family, but it can just get overwhelming.  Hopefully I'm on track to being able to process through stuff.  I think the clutter on my computer is worse than the clutter in my house and it all just makes my brain cluttered and difficult to function.

It probably doesn't help that I pretty much don't have much time to devote to technology.  Both my husband and I are trying to stay off our phones more.  There was a time this summer where my son was so excited about getting his new school clothes and my husband missed it (although he got strongly chided by me) and I've had those same moments where he has to tell me to put it down and live life and make memories.

I think we all feel pressure to stay up on stuff.  Whether it's news, work or social media, others have expectations that we will read and respond to their e-mails and texts.  I do have to work and I do have to supervise my kid and so that means I can't instantly respond and/or be on my phone at all times.  Quite frankly, after my kid is in bed, I just want to calm down and relax and I know screen time isn't healthy for sleep.  I also don't want to wake up early just to go through e-mail.  There is definitely overwhelm when there's so much stuff going on.  The one time I got on Facebook this month, a friend had posted some politically divisive stuff and I was almost worried for the friendship.  I stopped and called my friend.  I called three different times (I was a little worried I was being ghosted) and then we had an actual conversation and all was well.  Social media and technology I fear is not healthy for our relationships.  We keep upping our need for instant gratification.  I'm finding it more and more stressful to try to reply, respond and "like" things and still live my life.  I think as Advent comes, I may just put my phone (and my hubby's, if he is willing) in a box when we are at home.  I will probably have to learn my home phone number and give it to family and friends in case there's an emergency, but I think a little bit of fasting from technology might be good at bringing a little sense of peace and time for quiet in preparation for this Christmas season.

My son's principal today was actually discussing when good things become bad.  I believe this was because a recent round of parent-teacher conferences revealed a bad relationship with video games, but I digress.  She asked the students who had phones.  It seemed like the kids above 4th grade had phones.  She then asked the kids if anyone in their homes was a little too attached to their phones and spent a little too much time on their phones.  There were quite a number of hands raised.  I had difficulty seeing if my kid raised his hand, but I do know that my kid has asked both my husband and me to put down the phone before.  Oftentimes, it was when we were working and actually had to be on it, but how many times does he not say it when we are checking scores, e-mails or other things that can be done when we aren't taking away from family time?  I think that is a question we all have to ask.  I do know, the next time the principal asks that question, I don't want my son's hand to be raised.

1 comment:

  1. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    autism treatment for toddlers

    ReplyDelete