Thursday, January 3, 2019

A More Intentional Season

There are differing views whether Advent is a time of penance, I believe the Catechism says no, several websites say yes (I consider the Catechism the final word).  Whether or not there is a penitential component to Advent, it is definitely a time of preparation.  I tried to be more intentional this year.  I focused more on my prayer life and just being present for my son.  One writer has said, "your kids won't remember if you had a pinterest perfect Christmas but they will remember if you were cranky and full of tears."  I took this to heart.

It helped that the main water line ruptured under our house and my cell phone died, simultaneously.  Yep, there's nothing like adversity (and I'm talking the first-world kind, not the third-world kind) to put some things in perspective.  I had already sat down with my husband and son well before the Christmas season and went through a list of things they wanted to do, things they definitely wanted to do, things/events they could do without and things they were just meh on.  I was surprised at some of the answers, but I went with them.  I mean, it's really not necessary to make 10 different kinds of cookies and family traditions evolve.  I also was getting exasperated decorating and turned to my husband and said, "You know what, I just don't feel up to doing wreaths on all the windows, how about just one?"  He was fine with that.

I tried to get some things done earlier in the year and even before the Christmas season started.  From my mom, I got the habit of buying presents and deals throughout the year (the only problem is I forget what I bought and where I hid it).  I tried to do cinnamon rolls as presents for many people in our lives and I made a batch or two a week and just kind of stretched the Christmas season out.  I also have tried to get together with friends during the Season of Epiphany, when quite frankly we are all more pleasant and relaxed.

As the season of Advent and Epiphany has now closed, I see room for improvement, I see things I did better, and quite frankly ways I could improve.  I do feel though, this Christmas season I did grow a little closer to our Lord and I will take solace in that.  I also am grateful that though my son has a wide range of behavior and sweetness, multiple times throughout the season he said, "The Spirit of Christmas isn't about presents, it's about Baby Jesus' Birthday.  Yep, thank you my five year old for that reminder and may I take the intentionality I have practiced this season into the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment