Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Book Review: The Word of the Lord



My son loved Katie and Meg's previous book "Cloud of Witnesses", so when we received "The Word of the Lord: A Child's First Scripture Verses", he was excited to read it.
  It is a board book.  So it's very durable and would hold up to the young children in the house getting their hands on it.  The content is straight from scripture, so obviously not necessarily at the reading level of a typical three year old.  I think this is actually a good feature of the book because all age levels can enjoy the book (and the younger sibling can't easily destroy it).  I also think that many children's books underestimate the intellectual capacity of kids.  My 5 year old enjoys listening to some books that are at the middle school and high school level, and as far as I know, he's not a child prodigy.

As a mother, I really love that we were having a little discussion about obedience and lo and behold, I opened his book to the scripture verse about honor your father and your mother.  Straight from the scripture.  My son didn't have much to say after that.

My five year old put in his own review of the book that he likes it even better than "Cloud of Witnesses".  He is learning to read and is excited to read some of the verses he hears at Mass.  It also will be a great addition to his "Play Masses."  We've tried to find a good and holy, but lightweight and readable he can use for his Liturgy of the Word and this fits that role perfectly.






The Word of the Lord: A Child's First Scripture Verses is a great way to introduce young kids to scripture have as a spiritual resource for them even as they grow older.  My son, the five year old has requested me to read it over and over.  It is mom and 5 year old- approved!





“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”



No comments:

Post a Comment