Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Been Busy...

It's been another busy month at our household.  We are pursuing adoption and it's almost like being in school again.  With all the classes, book reports and paperwork, my husband and I have been burning the candle at both ends.

I also somehow managed to schedule a fairly busy work schedule and we've had more snow days and 2 hour delay days that my husband and I have to juggle through.  I will definitely be glad to see the Spring for a multitude of reasons.

Spring allergies have started already in our household as well as in the clinic.  Dogs with ear infections and licking their paws and cats with skin irritation and asthma are not quite in full bloom, but I'm sure they will get their soon.  We now have so many different options for treating allergies in our patients, it's really kind of exciting.  It used to be that our only option was steroids and this is what my first dog got with her severe allergies in the 80's.  Unfortunately, she ultimately ended up dying of liver failure that was directly related to her lifetime of steroid use.  Now I have a whole toolbox of things I can use on my patients.

On myself, I'm more reluctant to do a bunch of stuff; as my allergies have definitely decreased in severity and I'm less likely to give a ton of medicine to my son as I am aware that everything can have potential long-term side effects.  I think a anti-inflammatory diet can help and even changing our water filter to one that filters out aluminum has also made a difference.  We will have to see how long that lasts and my family will just have to buckle up for allergy season.  Fortunately our dog does not have allergies but our cat has asthma which is related to allergies.  There's never a dull moment in our household.

Welcome Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment