Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Math

It's sometimes hard to think that I once was a math whiz.  No, seriously, I was a math whiz once.  I was a full grade level and a half ahead of my class up to high school.  In high school, I signed up to be in an accelerated program that was college math in high school.  I reached a "wall" at that point.  That was seriously the first point I had in my education where I was truly challenged and realized I actually had to take notes and pay attention and even then could have a hard time.

I knew I needed math for becoming a veterinarian, but other than that, I was pretty burnt out on math.  I use math every day, doing conversions, coming up with doses.  Shadowing an ER human doctor I realized how they really kind of have it easy because when it comes to adult medicine, there is only 1 size of dose.  I'm treating any where from a 1/2 pound kitten to a 200 pound Norwegian Elkhound; they typically get dosed differently.

I often use a calculator to check my math, sometimes charts, and sometimes just the knowledge of what a "normal" dose of something should be.  If my math comes out to a big quantity for a little creature, I'm maybe going to re-check my math four times.

I've had cousins and did tutoring around when the "new math" came along.  I can't handle the "new math".  I'm sure it's great for some of the kids who struggled with "the old math".  That's great, but it would be nice if teachers could teach the "old math" and those who have difficulty with it learn it "the new math way."  I'm sure my sister and sister-in-law, both elementary school teachers can tell me why that's not so, but from the parent's perspective, this "new math" is kind of crazy.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I found out that my son's Catholic school actually uses the "old math".  Yay! I can at least possibly help him through 8th grade.  I talked to some other parents who live in the area and they told me that our county school system actually offers twice a week classes to parents to help parents learn the new math.  Uh.  I think I'm kind of done with going to math classes.

All of this also comes to mind as this is tax time.  I'm finding out as I try to get together my taxes, and I'm an independent contractor that multiple places I have worked at have had a hard time coming to the same numbers I have.  I have pretty good accounting software and I add my numbers multiple times.  I think it probably has more to do with a system of organization vs. a system of disorganization (as shocking as it may be to my friends and family, thanks to the help of Quick Books Self Employed I'm actually pretty organized).

Yep, math follows you throughout all your life.  I actually still like algebra and simple every day math.  Geometry and taxes are the parts of math I really could do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment