Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Vet School Series: Critical Care Humor

This is from my vet school series- bear in mind that I was a sleep-deprived student when you look at the grammar and sentence structure...


I am on my Emergency and Critical Care rotation, that is why I am posting at 3:44 in the morning.  

After a long day of death, tears, hard work, throw in some anal glands, vomiting and diarrhea and exposure to X-rays, some dog wrestling, Chihuahua lunging, etc.. I am exhausted.

  Let's just say here, we start our days with Ibuprofen.  I have mysterious bruises on my arms that I don't know where I acquired them from.   I think I've developed dyslexia and I might have a concussion from body-slamming a Great Dane (when I body slam, it does nothing except stop the dog).  Am I complaining?  No, I'm a vet student,  and in some sick and twisted way, I actually enjoy this!

The people I'm working with are fun.  Sure there's stress when you have a cat on dialysis, a dog that ate chocolate, one that ate oxycontin, a septic abdomen and by the way there's a woman who is paging you every 60 minutes to ask annoying questions that you legally aren't allowed to answer.  We actually all can recognize her by her voice.  Unfortunately, we don't have laws like 911 operators do and we have to drop whatever we are doing to answer the phone.  But then there's those bonding moments, where you don't care that you have blood or other substances you don't want me to elaborate on, on your shoes, face shirt.   You just see that burrito that the angel from heaven, your beloved classmate, brings to you.  Then, as you're presenting an emergency case to the lead doctor, throughout the night he is trying different aerodynamic engineering designs to see if he can get the air conditioner to nail someone across the room.  There's laughter, tears, there is blood and there is guts, but what makes up for all the sad news and death we deal with is when Fifi goes home and the owners want to give you a hug, or when that cat who has been looking like death warmed over has the will to live!  (This typically means they try biting).  There's nothing like a cat who decides they feel good enough to be pissed off.  By the way, I'm not sure what day of the week it is and my body's schedule is all screwed up.  S
o if there are any spelling errors or things don't make sense, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment