Tuesday, April 7, 2020

There are some silver linings...

The times have been changing for everyone.  We have all been forced to be adaptable.  We veterinarians are a fairly adaptable specimen, but we also like things the way we like them (like everybody).  The ongoing joke is that seeing pets, but not the people is every veterinarian's dream!

That's not quite true and I really do miss the one on one I get with pet owners.  It also makes certain aspects of my job downright difficult to impossible.  I can't demonstrate how to do things over the phone, I can't read body language or express empathy very well over the phone.  Everyone's going through challenges right now and even though veterinarians are considered essential workers and are fortunate enough to be able to work and get pay, there's stress for everyone.  There's the stress of small business owners, the stress of uncertainty and the stress of shortages.  We know that we share most of our equipment and supplies with human medicine.  We know that they are a greater priority than we are.  We also know that an important component of human health is the companionship and relationship they have with their pets.

There are worries that pets are going to suffer just like the rest of us.  Unfortunately, decisions such as, "I'm going to do everything I can to avoid the human hospitals," means that we are going to have a harder time treating animals who are riskier to handle, like anxious or mean dogs and cats.  We do the best we can, but our paradigm has changed.

To the silver lining... now, with so many people home, more people are adopting pets, older cats and dogs, and especially puppies are becoming new members of households, helping during this time of isolation.

People are just nicer now.  I'm sorry to say we aren't always that nice during normal times, but overall I've noticed everyone seems to be more patient and have more of a "can do" attitude.  Maybe it's because our expectations have been totally dropped.  I don't know.  Obviously I hope this pandemic goes away soon, but I hope the silver linings stay with us for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment