Tuesday, May 12, 2020

The Big Book of Christians around the World Review

In a time when everyone needs to feel even more united than before, I was delighted to receive the book, “The Big Book of Christians around the World” by Sophie de Mullenheim and Solenne & Thomas.

My whole family enjoyed this book, from the age of 6 to 45, we each learned something new and different.  The book has 1-2 pages on each country with small paragraphs of facts, stories and more.  Each region has a “journal entry” written from the perspective of two children about something special that happens in that area.  While the book does a great job at highlighting unique practices in each country and region, it also does a fantastic job at showing how the Faith unites us all.  While the book says it’s “The Big Book of Christians,” I found that it was heavily focused on Catholics.  Obviously, I have no problem with that!  I did kind of think twice though about sending it to my non-Catholic Christian friends as it may be a little “too Catholic” for them.  I was happy to send it to some other families I know that share the faith and they were excited to receive it.  There was only one segment in the book that I found parental guidance was needed for.  There was a small paragraph about a robin hood type folk hero and I had a talk with my son that while giving to the poor is laudable, stealing is not Ok.  Otherwise, I found the values in the book to be part of our foundational beliefs and a great way to open all of our eyes to the beauty of our faith around the world.  Even though we are all different and may express our love for our faith differently, Jesus unites us.  What a great message for our times!



“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites”


No comments:

Post a Comment