Friday, June 12, 2015

A new diet...

In discussion with a doctor friend of mine (who typically eats way healthier than I do), I have decided to embark on a healthier diet.  I eat a wide variety of food and am kind of a foodie, but I ate the Atkins diet before it was the Atkins diet.  I love dairy, meat and sugar on the side.  My friend had suggested an "alkaline diet" to help with various health ailments.  Well, if you search alkaline diet, it seems like there is a wide variety of what people view it as.

No meat, no dairy, no sugar and caffeine.  So that basically leaves fruit and vegetables.  Now, I am a realist.  I know I can't live without meat, dairy and sugar.  I have tried to cut out the caffeine (to the chagrin of my husband who I think is wondering how he is going to survive the mornings with me not having caffeine.  I am continuing to have one meal (or less a day) without meat, sugar and dairy (if something that I am making happens to have a small amount or dairy in it, say borscht, with a dollop of sour cream, I will allow it).  This diet has proven interesting (and I give myself more laxity on the weekends).  After all, I did make my boys cinnamon rolls (known as ferris-a-rolls by my son). Try the recipe at: http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/01/bread-machine-cinnamon-roll.html.  My son is a carboholic (one day this week he ate a chocolate chip waffle, no bake cookie, tortilla, banana bread and french fries).  He does have his foodie moments (hummus and feta cheese?) where he will eat apple/banana or apple carrot pouches and he does actually know what lettuce is (less you think my kid only gets junk).  My husband is a total meat and potato guy.  Yes, a fruit/veggie diet is hard for everyone in the household.  My hubby has been supportive and we had chicken-vegetable kebabs with Jamaican seasoning on Sunday and he's been giving me enough time to make lots of fresh juice and smoothies, but let me tell you... that only gets me so far.  I will continue to update you on how I do on this healthier diet (lots of salad and soup).

One recipe I'd like to share is for some great borscht.  This comes from a old neighbor (who was like an adopted grandma), who has a Spanish/Russian/Polish/German/Michigan background.  This is the best borscht I've had (and I did try some outside the Russian Embassy in Mongolia that was pretty darn good).

1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup julienned beets
fresh dill and black pepper to taste

add 2 potatoes, partially cooked and cubed
simmer 20 minutes

Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of dill

I have made it before with vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth, but prefer the chicken broth (even if it's not totally alkaline), I also didn't use the potatoes this last time and it still tasted fine.

It is really good with fresh homemade bread (see previous post) and Kerrygold Butter... But that doesn't exactly fit with my diet plan...

I'll keep you posted on how this all goes... it should be interesting...


No comments:

Post a Comment