Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dr. Meg's Mom's Famous Chli Recipe

As summer is winding down, I want to try to delay the start of fall as long as possible (although I do love the season of fall, I'm just not ready to let go of summer yet).  I am about to embark on a visit to a good friend and while 8 hours of being the only adult in a car with a toddler seems somewhat daunting (maybe I'll have some good stories to tell later?), I am looking forward to the visit and hopefully trying to fill up my friend's freezer (she is about ready to have a baby and she has a toddler my son's age).  As I was thinking of what great things to bring to her, I thought this recipe would be a great one.

This recipe is one that has been used at many football tailgates and I think even for bribery during my internship year.  The stew meat and pork makes it quite differe
nt from most chili recipes and even my husband who is a picky eater enjoys this occasionally.  I have modified it by using the slow cooker as that works best for my schedule, but the best way is in a large cast iron pot if you have the time.



Dr. Meg’s Mom’s Chili

  • 4 pounds stew (chuck) meat cut into smaller cubes 
  • 1 pound of lean pork  (i.e. pork steak) cut in same size cubes
  • 1 jumbo or 2 extra large onions coarsely chopped or more to taste
  • 2 large green peppers coarsely chopped
  • ½ cup chili pepper -   I used chipotle chili pepper 
  • 2-3 Tablespoons cumin seed ground
  • 2 or more finely chopped Jalapeno peppers

In very large pot, brown meats on high, stirring. Add onions and peppers, cook till slightly tender. Add chili pepperand cumin (even if just using regular chili pepper) and stir well. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 2-4 hours. Then add:

  • 3- 4 or more 14oz. cans of stewed tomatoes to desired thickness and taste
  • 1 or more cans of kidney beans –dark or light

Cook 1 hour or more to taste.

This obviously makes a couple gallons but chili freezes very well for a long time in quantities of 4 cups or more.

Top with grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions and Fritos, if desired.

+++ If you use ground beef and ground pork the first cooking time will be cut substantially .  Adding more stewed tomatoes will ‘cool’ it if you find it too spicy or just put 1 jalapeno in to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment