Friday, January 22, 2016

Going old school...

I've been a vet for about 8 years now, but fortunately due to good genetics, and good care of my skin, I still look like a new college grad to a lot of people.  Sometimes they remark on it and sometimes they just keep it to themselves.

So it pretty much never ceases to amuse and amaze them when I tell them "old school" methods for dealing with their pet's problems.

Here are some that can be used for various problems, but of course, please consult with your veterinarian.

1) Canned Pumpkin- this can be used for various things, but I recommend it most commonly for dogs that have frequent anal gland impactions.  Some dogs have anal gland issues due to underlying allergies, (so treat the underlying allergy) but sometimes just switching to a higher fiber diet or adding a teaspoon to tablespoon of canned pumpkin can be helpful.


2) Coconut oil- I just came upon this lately when doing research of homeopathic therapy for canker sores in people.  I put this on my canker sore and got immediate relief.  It is well-known as a natural anti-inflammatory and there is even research that supplementing coconut oil may help alzheimer's patients.  I use it as a natural anti-inflammatory for skin lesions and other inflammation.  It's better than neosporin or triple antibiotic because if the dog/cat licks it, it's not toxic.  I've used it on scabs, etc. and it does seem to help.

3) Epsom salts- These may seem old school, but there's a reason the pharmacy still sells them.  They still work!  This is good to use with infections and inflammations of the paws.  Ask your veterinarian if it's appropriate for your dog, as there are some conditions it is not appropriate for.


4) Allergies- some over the counter treatments you can do for allergies include simply rinsing your dog or even just wiping down his/her paws every evening.  Just like showering in the evening has been shown to help people with allergies, it can help your pet to.  This works simply by removing pollen and irritants that "marinate" overnight, causing more severe allergies in the morning.

Antihistamines such as Zyrtec and Benadryl can help your pet with itchiness, sneezing and other common allergy symptoms.  Ask your veterinarian for the appropriate dose and if this would be something that could help your pet.

Well, I'm hoping to keep up my blogposts, but according to everyone here in the Mid-Atlantic, our world as we know it is going to be snowed in for the next couple of days to a week so I'm sure I'll have tons of fun stories to tell next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment