Friday, March 9, 2018

Hazards of the job...

I don't know if it was my application for workers compensation, or coaxing a colleague that I refused to work at for fear of endangering my health, but I've begun to reflect on the dangers of my job.

I used to joke with my sister that I think being a veterinarian was safer than being an elementary school teacher (because at least I could sedate my unruly charges), but I think I was probably lying to myself.  I'm not sure that my parents even knew that every time I walked into the large animal clinics in my school there was a large sign that basically boiled down to, "You are entering an inherently dangerous area where great injury and even death can happen, so don't sue us because we told you so."  Obviously it was written in legalese, but that was the gist of it.  Someone in the class ahead of me got most of her teeth knocked out by a horse.  I'm pretty sure that my youth and being naive kept me from having more serious anxiety than I did.

Some dangers, I like to think, I have control of (such as, I don't work in places that have unsafe environments such as open flames near oxygen tanks or a faulty scavenger system that means humans get anesthetized along with the animals).  I realize that jobs come and go, but my health is something I have to try to hold onto.  I like to think the fact that I haven't had any major mishaps lately is become I'm getting smarter and my staff is getting improved training.  But if I'm being honest, I would acknowledge a certain amount of luck and God's good grace has played a big role.

The 3 bite wounds I have received as a veterinarian that were serious enough for me to go to the hospital were in my last year of school and first year of practice.  It was when I was in school that I broke my leg dealing with a cow (that's a good story).  I've gotten more bruises than I can ever count (currently writing this with about 10 bruises that I honestly can't remember which patient inflicted or in what combination).  I even got a strange "flu-like" virus from pigs.  My more strange injury was actually a dog that bruised my rib and then bruised my back just by pushing me into an exam room table.  I'm a pretty tough cookie.  I had a kitty patient who actually got their claw attached to me by entering in one side of my finger and than coming out at another point.  The owner was impressed how calm I was as I extricated myself from the cat, no hospital visit needed.

My husband has commented that I should wear bubble wrap and gloves to try to stay protected.  Unfortunately, I can't practice medicine like that, so I'm left with praying, trusting my coworkers and considering other careers as my reflexes slow down

No comments:

Post a Comment