Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Yesterday was 60 degrees and today we have a winter storm...

You would think I wrote the above title when I was back in Michigan, but no- I'm rather south of Michigan and we have this crazy spring weather.   My behavior might possibly be just as crazy too.

A couple of weeks ago we had a severe windstorm, one of which most of our area is still recovering from.  Brand new fences broken, countless trees down and more shingles off of roofs than I can count (we haven't identified any from our roof, so we're hoping we are home free).  My "greenhouse" cover on my planter blew off into the yard about a day after I had placed it, and between rain and miserable weather, I hadn't gotten around to replacing it yet.

I picked up my son from school yesterday and it was about 60 degrees.  My son lectured me about still wearing my winter coat (I haven't transitioned out of transferring everything from my coat to my purse, so I kind of wear it as one would carry a purse).

As soon as I brought my son home,
he raced up to his bedroom on the third floor and got into his "favorite shorts" as soon as I could get my coat off.  He was excited.  Someone told him it was the first day of spring tomorrow.  I didn't have the heart to tell him he was potentially going to get a snow day, so hold on to those pants!

It was a nice, sunny day and my son was in shorts.  I loathed the idea of being stuck in the house with snow and ice the next few days, so I ditched my work ethic and said, "let's go to the park."  I thought "if we are going to be stuck in the house the next couple of days, I'll have plenty of time to do housework and my son needs the fresh air and exercise so he won't drive me nuts while I'm doing housework".  It seemed like legitimate rationalization.  I paused momentarily and thought, "do we need sunscreen?"  Then I realized I was catching my son's "bug" of thinking 60 degrees is Florida.  We got out of the house and went to the park my son calls the "Party Park".  It's a little further away from our house and its normally where we host my son's birthday parties.  We hadn't been there in MONTHS, possibly since September.  He was excited and I was excited.

We tried to meet up with a few of his neighborhood friends and decided it would be easier if we went back to the park closer to our house.  On our way, we started skipping.  My son complained.  I told him, "run along with me if you can't skip."  He told me, "I can't run, I might get a boo-boo."  I said, "so what?  boo boos happen, just try to be careful."  He then explained in a rather surprising role reversal how he wanted to be safe.  I pointed out to him none of the sports he enjoys, (hockey, basketball, football and baseball) are completely free of possible injury, he's 4- he should run.  I couldn't convince him and I tried to explain if you don't do things that have the possibility of a minor injury- you can't do much.  It's a risk you take when you are having fun.  Apparently I'm not an overprotective or helicopter parent if I'm trying to explain this to a kid.

I was slightly worried about my son's perception of running and skipping as dangerous activity.  We got to the park where his friends were and he immediately climbed to the top of the playground equipment and began launching himself off the side.  Nope- he's not risk-averse.  He just knows how to make a good excuse.

We got home and I decided no time like right before a winter storm to put the greenhouse cover on.  I fixed that up and started seedlings and now I'm waiting for the snow.  Nothing like the first day of Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment