Tuesday, September 25, 2018

What I'm Reading Now

I read a fairly eclectic mix of books.  Fiction, non-fiction, spiritual.  I'm in the middle of several right now.  Whenever I see an interesting book referred to, I add it to my library "Wish List".  I think I'm near 1,000 on my wish list.  Not sure I'll ever be able to read them all, but keeping these books in this place has brought some new books into my life that I would've never read otherwise.

If my library doesn't have a book, I will often "request" or recommend it for purchase.  They are a pretty big library system and not all of my requests get purchased, but a fair amount do.  A while back I requested a book, Chesapeake Requiem: A Year with the Watermen of Vanishing Tangier Island.  I was excited when my library purchased it and I discovered three other people had requested it too.  I was on the waitlist and then I got the book and started reading, along with the 5 other books I'm currently in the middle of.

Then the news of Hurricane Florence came and there was an article in a major newspaper interviewing the author of Chesapeake Requiem.  My copy that I had checked out was about ready to expire (the library gives me 21 days to read a book and it normally takes SEVERAL cycles for me to make it through a book).  I thought, "no problem, I'll put it on hold again."  Apparently I wasn't the only person who had read the newspaper article.  The book that I had started reading and was getting into now had 150 people ahead of me on the waiting list.  I told my husband of my angst.  "By the time I get the book back, I will have totally forgotten what I read!"

I worked diligently to read it at every chance I got and as it was really rather engaging and interesting, I made it through.  It's a non-fiction book about a rather liberal journalist who lives on a VERY conservative, dry island where pretty much everyone can trace their family back to a guy who lived there pre-revolution.  With facts about crabbing, boating and small-town life and politics mixed in with the global warming debate (it's not a debate for the journalist, but he is respectful of the islanders having a different view) and personal stories, it was a very engaging read.  I think one thing I enjoyed about it was the fact the journalist and islanders did co-exist and become friends, a nice reminder in this divisive time that there is co-existence possible with polar opposite views.

I've also been getting into some "mystery" and "spy" historical fiction books.  The World War II time period has always fascinated my sister and me and I've been enjoying the Maggie Hope Mysteries.  I don't have a whole lot of time for reading, but I try to squeeze a few minutes here and there, whether I'm in the carpool line or waking up a little earlier in the morning or staying up a little bit late, I get to step outside of my life for just a little bit (and sometimes realize just how blessed I am).  I have way more books on my wish list than I probably will ever be able to get through but I definitely have some good reading to look forward to.





“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

No comments:

Post a Comment