Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Adoption Madness 2: Party at Home Depot

As I discussed in Part 1, our adoption journey started out slow and tranquil and went into a crescendo the succeeding 3 months.

While we were doing tons of paperwork (I think our adoption To Do List had about 100 items on it) and doctors appointments and more, we were preparing for our home to be inspected.  There wasn't really a checklist for what was needed for a home inspection.  Our social worker was reassuring and said it was really nothing to worry about, and if there was something they found lacking, we would have time to correct it.

My husband and I are both fairly risk-averse and safety conscious.  We also have a friend who is a local fireman.  We have a three-story ladder for our house, a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and more smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms than what is necessary.  We had read that our local laws had been updated and there were a few more bells and whistles that were required; but no big deal.

I got the name of an electrician and I found new smoke alarms with a 10 year battery.  When we had gotten a new heating and air unit and new hot water heater, we had already passed a local inspection for our carbon monoxide and other detectors so we thought we were good.  Hmm.

A week or so before the home inspector came, I realized that we needed a combination smoke/fire alarm and tried to get the electrician to come in and switch them out, which we had him scheduled for, but inclement weather interfered.  Rather than re-schedule the home inspection, the inspector said she'd come anyways because she was sure she'd find some other violations.  That just made me quake in my heels.

So ultimately after 3 trips from the electrician, multiple purchases from Home Depot and Amazon and a consultation with a friend who is a fireman we made some progress.  We also had multiple communications with the home inspector which were confusing (they had just changed the laws and regulations in our county regarding what was required and that home inspectors were now responsible for fire inspections, something the firemen used to be responsible for).  The electrician who was a kind man figured out exactly what I needed to get.  It was not easily found online.  He stayed and waited for me to make a quick run to Home Depot (all during this time I was actually supposed to be listening to a lecture for continuing education).  I went to Home Depot and could not find what I needed.  I didn't understand why they would be selling products that weren't "up to code" in the first place.  I found a Home Depot team member and asked for assistance.  The electrician had given me a specific model number.  The Home Depot member then suggested one of the previous detectors we had purchased.  In frustration, I told him how that hadn't passed inspection.  He then said, "Oh- you have an inspector- then this what you need."  As he showed me the small box tucked on the lowest shelf in the back, I purchased 7.  Suddenly there were about 5 other people who came over and also asked if this was the model that would pass inspection.  Who knew that I would start a "party" at Home Depot to find the right device...

No comments:

Post a Comment