Tuesday, October 27, 2015

An excellent race and pre-race meal

I had my big 10k run this week and my husband went above and beyond all around.

He made his delicious pasta recipe;

1 pack of italian sausage
1 box of penne pasta or rigatoni
1 jar of tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
Parmesan cheese 

Brown and crumble sausage in large skillet
Boil water in pot and cook pasta to instructions on package
Once sausage is browned, stir in tomato sauce and cook on medium for 8 minutes
Stir in heavy cream and cook additional 2 minutes
Drain pasta
Serve sausage/sauce over pasta, top with cheese

It is a delicious and simple recipe he based off of one of his favorite meals at a favorite restaurant.  We use REALLY good, high quality sausage in the recipe and Trader Joe's spaghettis sauce.  I also use the homemade bread and we either have garlic bread or just regular bread and butter.  (See previous post:  http://allcreaturesgreatandcrazy.blogspot.com/2015/05/so-small-taste-of-life-around-here.html   )


And he and my son got up early Sunday am to go to my race (while I felt bad about waking him up early, there was a certain type of satisfaction in changing the tables on him).

I had a great run and I love the race.  It's in the nation's Capitol, so there's the Musuems, monuments and Capitol you get to run by and you finish in Arlington National Cemetery. It's great to run by all the marines, giving them high fives and thanking them for their service.

It's also neat to see all the original signs people have, such as "you run better than the government," or "you dragged me out of bed so you better finish this race."

Some people where costumes too.  I remember, just as I wanted to stop and walk, there was a woman ahead of me in a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup. "I will not be beat by a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup".  This is the mantra I continued to tell myself to keep myself going.  I did not let that coffee cup beat me...

My son had a great time and cheered me on and cheered others on saying, "yay, runners".  He ran around so my husband the "spectator' may have almost done as much running as I did.  Overall it was a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment