Tuesday, August 15, 2017

New School Year Hopes

It's kind of silly how excited I am to be getting a new planner soon.  As I was purchasing some supplies for my son, I asked my husband if I could make a purchase for myself.  As an independent contractor, I make my own schedule with over ten different locations a year, spread across a couple of states.  It is an inconsistent schedule and with being a small business owner, I have invoices and accounts receivable and occasionally the role of collections officer.

Besides that, I have a couple of side gigs I do, my role in my Dominican order that, since I've become fully-professed seems to be increasing, my role on our church's Respect For Life Committee that also is increasing, my role as a mom and "Chief Administrative Officer" (meaning I get to try to do all the administrative stuff like paperwork and coordinating repairs) and my role as mom.  At my son's current childcare situation we were expected to do co-op hours and in my son's preschool next year, parent participation is mandatory.

I'd like to say I do a decent job at the above, but that probably wouldn't believable.  As I talked with another busy mom one day- you give up on "not dropping balls" and accept that balls will drop- you aim for efficiency at getting the balls back up in the air as fast as you can and accept losing the less important ones.

I look back at everything I did in college- NCAA student athlete, work in a molecular genetics lab, president of my school's Students For Life program, officer of the pre-vet club and active in my parish.  How did I do that all, I asked my husband.  The likely answer is- I was in my early twenties and I didn't have a family.  Another answer though, was I was old school.  I had a planner and I worked off of that.  I also think of if I lose my phone, or the internet goes down at our house, or any other types of computer/programming snafus I would be totally in a deep hole.  It's good to have a paper AND computer copy of where I'm supposed to be for everything and anything that let's me have a little less anxiety and be a little less attached to my cell phone is a GOOD thing.

I'm not expecting to become superwoman when my planner arrives, but I'm hoping it will help me on my journey to become more of the woman God wants me to be.  I'll keep you updated...

No comments:

Post a Comment