Friday, January 26, 2018

Busy Week

As usual, another busy week...

Just as I was healing from my fractured foot, I got the flu and then this week, secondary to that respiratory bug, I got bronchitis and a sinus infection...  I'm just having a real hard time on that resolution to get back into shape.  But just as I've said before.  A resolution isn't one point... It's a trying for a goal day after day through adversity.

I used to be an athlete and I remember- it wasn't what you put out in your awesome workouts when you were feeling great that helped you win.  It was showing up day after day when you didn't even want to get out of bed and giving it your all even if you felt like you had just been run over.  Guess that's kind of a rule for life.

Wednesday was a crazy day at work and I was managing multiple crises at once.  This dog wants to die, this one is seriously ill and let's just throw in a cat who's not happy to be there.  Unlike how my husband likes to run things (and quite honestly, I do too).  I can't tackle one thing at a time.  Emergencies and medicine require you tackle like ten things while you're thinking about ten other things.  If you try to focus on one case, the other case will crash, so you just have to do multi-tasking and hope something bad won't happen while you're trying to process it all.

I guess as a mother, I'm supposed to be equipped like this- to be able to have ten things going on at once.  As a veterinary intern, I trained for this- but just because I trained at it and I'm "supposed to be good at it,"  doesn't make me feel any better when I have to give something 10%, something 30% and something 60%.  Add on a sinus infection and bronchitis and well- you have a recipe for my week.

What is helpful is when my clients are understanding that- yes, I'm sorry I forgot to do a nail trim on your dog when I was trying to save somebody else's life and yes, I'm sorry I was 20 minutes late for your appointment, but that was because I was telling a first-time dog owner about the realities of euthanizing her older and beloved dog.  When people can just be understanding of each other, it takes down the pressure.  When we all put pressure on each other and we push-push-push, I see how we tend to fail.

Watching my son- he had a big milestone this week.  It might not be a milestone to any other parent, but to me it is because we've been working for about 2 years on trying to get my son comfortable putting on goggles and putting his head under water.  His swim instructor and I have tried everything.  But really, since Christmas or so I haven't said too much to him about it.  I even told him he could tell his swim instructor he didn't want to do it for a whole class.  I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but this week, he liked playing "Ring around the rosie, we all fall down" and "bobbing"- which is basically just bobbing up and down under water and "the numbers game" where we go under water and you have to see how many fingers the other person is holding up.  I don't really LOVE spending over two hours a week in chlorine every week, but I do LOVE watching how his mind works and how he develops and how he has FINALLY seemed to overcome his fear of water.

Just a reminder for all of us when you take the pressure off, things you didn't think you could do happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment