Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dogs As Members Of The Family

Oftentimes, clients and myself will talk as dogs as members of our family.  While I don't dress up my dog or push him in a stroller, he is every bit considered a member of my family.  As a matter of fact, my husband and I almost broke up over a misunderstanding about my dog being an integral member of my family and what that meant.

My dog, Dewey has probably saved me from more unfortunate encounters than I want to know about.  There have been at least 3 cases where he has saved me from "sketchy" people and one situation where he scared off a break-in when I was home in my bed at midnight (my upstairs neighbors told me the next day that they were going to call 911, but they heard my dog and figured he had the situation under control).  When I was single and lived in Arizona, a state thousands of miles from my family, Dewey went with me everywhere, including work.  I wouldn't go on hikes unless it was in an area where he could come.  He was rattlesnake trained, so I knew he would protect me from rattlesnakes, sketchy people and mountain lions; the advantages of a large dog...  Even now, if my son and I are going on a car trip without my husband, I want Dewey to come.  He's the "man" I have trusted to protect me before my hubby came on the scene and my husband and I still count on him today.

I don't know what we'd do without him.  With my son and I having active imaginations, I'm sure I'd have anxiety if he wasn't with me in the house and even now when he's not with me; either I'm in a location away from him, or he's at boarding because we have to leave early the next day, I feel afraid. Afraid of noises or thumps in the night,  I had a police officer tell me that he's better than a security system and I agree.

I work in different areas as a veterinarian and I've noticed one of the most affluent areas the dogs are not treated that well.  They are more like an "accessory."  Not in all situations, but more often than you would think for people who "have money."  I also work in an area that has crime and gangs and is working class.  I've noticed that as a general rule, these clients (and it may also be because of the quality of the clinic), treat their dogs more as members of the family and follow my recommendations more closely.

The other day I was speaking with a mother and her son and looking at their puppy.  As we were talking, I asked, "so what do you see his role as being?"  It may be a funny question, but it was to help give me an idea of what they were training this puppy to become.  They told me he was to become a member of their family.  I looked at them again- this was a guard dog breed.  "Perhaps you want him to also guard the house a little bit?".  They relaxed and said, "yes, we definitely do".  They disclosed that they lived in a neighborhood with some crime and thought a dog would be better than a security system (and definitely more cuddly and fun).  I agreed with them.  Dogs can be unpredictable, extremely loyal and downright heroic.  I've seen dogs come in who've been shot and still have the drive to protect their owners and masters.  Dogs will take a bullet, and in the case of some military dogs, an IED.  Dogs originally started out as "working dogs" and they would have a role such as herding, guarding or hunting.  Only recently do we have the small lap dogs who's only role is to keep someone warm and cuddled.  Sometimes these dogs are very proficient barkers, but I haven't heard of any Chihuahuas that have scared off a burglar.  I have heard that when burglars who have been imprisoned have answered questions as to what house they wouldn't go to; they would avoid houses with dogs- even more than a well-lit house or a house with a security system.  Dogs are just too unpredictable.

Sometimes society makes fun of people who "anthropomorphize" and give dogs human characteristics or go overboard with making them part of the family.  I get some of that- I mean I've seen the dogs in the carriages wearing baby clothes and I look at the dog and think most of the time they aren't thrilled with being dressed in a tutu.  I look at my dog, who for the price of food, drink and medical expenses has kept me safe in many circumstances and who I have no doubt he would take a bullet for me if he had to.  He's the "enforcer" member of my family.  The quiet "uncle" and security guard who though he's afraid of thunderstorms knows he's a member of the family and to keep everyone safe.  He's not a scary dog, but he has a presence.  As I was pumping gas at a deserted gas station and a strange man came over and got closer to me and started to enter my personal space, Dewey just stuck his head out the window, without a bark and the man left.  Dewey is not a father-figure or highly intelligent, but he's highly intuitive and I'm grateful that he's a member of my family.

So the next time someone talks about their dog as a family member, it's not all about dressing them up and calling them names and having them eat food from the table (which as a veterinarian I clearly can't recommend).  It's about being a member of the family who has your back, who keeps you safe, who gives you peace of mind and takes away anxiety.  Oh, and by the way, when I mentioned to my husband about getting a smaller dog in the future- he reminded me that we'd still need a large dog protective detail.



No comments:

Post a Comment