Friday, May 20, 2016

Bodacious and Feisty Saints

This week, I was working with a coworker who I enjoy working with and we make each other laugh all the time.  At one point, she said, "I love working with you and you're in such a small package".  I asked her what she meant, she said, "there's so much spunkiness and feistiness in such a small package."  My husband and I were watching American Grit last week and I anticipated that one of the smaller contestants would win, because she was feisty.  My husband wasn't convinced.  I reminded him how when I was a 5'2" coxswain on my Crew Team, I still outlasted my 6'1" weight lifting partner.  As he thought about some spirited discussions we have had in the past, he did give feistiness some credit.

There's a new book out called "My Badass Book of Saints: Courageous Women Who Showed Me How to Live" by Maria Morera Johnson.  I think this book is definitely going to be on my Christmas list.  The author discussed a couple of the Saints she highlighted on a Among Women Podcast.  Some of the tidbits she shared were vignettes I had not heard before.  These included a story of how St. Rose of Lima would smear her face with pepper so she was not as beautiful.  Another tidbit she shared is that legend has it that St. Margaret of Antioch was swallowed by the devil and she clung so tightly to the Cross that she irritated his innards and was "vomited" up.

It sounds like she has all sorts of interesting stories and is quite a storyteller.  It is a good reminder to find role models that do not conform and stand up for principles.  There have been many times of struggle and anxiety in our history and God has provided us with Saints to help light the way for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment