Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Hit the Road, Jack

One of my favorite memories from childhood was going to my favorite University's hockey games.  I remember singing and cheering, including the song, "Hit the Road Jack" whenever the opposing team was put in the penalty box.  I don't know how it came up, but I said this expression to my son and he loved it.  "Say it again, Mommy," he would say.  This evening, I showed him the Ray Charles video on YouTube of him singing the song.  My son loved it and wanted me to keep replaying it.  He kept changing the words to "Hit the Street Jack".

This weekend, we purchased a new car.  It was a big decision, and it was done in anticipation that hopefully we will be blessed with a larger family.  Making a big decision like this is hard for me, who knows that things can change, dreams don't always come true exactly how you want them and jobs change faster than you think.  There's not a whole lot of security in life, so it's easy for anxiety to set in.  Fortunately for the car dealer last week, I almost hit a motorcyclist who came up suddenly on my in my blind spot.  I was definitely willing to spend a little extra to have the newest "sensing" technology to help prevent this kind of thing.  As I drove the car today for its first big trip (A little over 2 hours in the car to work and back), I had a lot of nervousness.  First of all, realizing I had this fresh, new car, free of dents and blemishes.  I didn't want to be the first one in the family to cause a blemish to it.  I also had a certain amount of anxiety of not being familiar with it and trying to learn how everything worked and functioned.

This weekend, when we got it, I didn't really want to drive it a lot and I asked my husband if he wanted it more for his primary car.  I like my "Big Blue" AKA "Mommy's hot, hot car," as my son calls it.  Big Blue and I have been through a lot and we are familiar with each other, like childhood friends.

Alas, it was time to let my hubby drive Big Blue and time for me to get brave in the new car.  As I got into my trip and switched between podcast and XM radio, warmed up my heated seat and chilled out that life is uncertain and you do the best you can, I relaxed a little.  After all, the only one in control of life really is God, I'm happy to sit shotgun in His car.  I guess like a lot of things in life, sometimes you just have to "Hit The Road" and get out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment