Friday, May 6, 2016

Hydration

We learn about hydration pretty early on in veterinary school and even before in basic biology.

Mother Teresa mandated that all of her houses have the words, "I Thirst" next to the Crucifix.  Jesus thirsts for souls and souls thirst for Jesus.

Hydration, in one form or another, is essential for life.  In disease processes that we don't quite understand or illnesses that are not well defined, as veterinarians we often give supportive care in the form of fluids, as often it can really help the comfort and function of a sick animal.


While having a Starbucks frappucino doesn't count as traditional hydration, I count it as hydration therapy- as in, "if I have it I may be more willing to deal with the people who cause me to want to bang my head against a wall."  I was rewarded in finding out that the individual who caused me to want to bang my head against the wall caused the veterinarian last year to want to pull her hair out.  On my spectrum, the former is a little less destructive...

You don't have to agree me.  You don't have to have the financial means to do what I am recommending.  Those things don't get to me.  What gets to me is when you plainly don't care about your pet and you want me to do something that is illegal and going to harm your pet simply because you are lazy and cheap...  Ok, I'll get off that tirade.

Hydration, be it physical, spiritual or a chocolate shake, can also refresh, reinvigorate and "save" us.  I often don't think to drink water unless I'm really thirsty and I've been surprised lately now that I have a Fitbit and track my water consumption, how far behind I am.

This sometimes happens to us spiritually too, it's often not until we are parched that we realize what we are lacking.  Just like I'm trying to be more cognizant  to drink enough water to keep me optimally running, I have to also be cognizant to fill up my emotional and spiritual tanks,  so to speak.

I was thinking of all of this when I went over to check on our garden.  We have had nearly constant rain for almost

a week, after close to drought-like conditions before that.  Like my tomato seedlings, there is only so much I can do to adequately water or not over-water once they are outside, in the real world.  There's definitely a large amount of simply relying on God's mercy, and that God will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment