Friday, October 6, 2017

A Beautiful Drive and Fall Changes

We got to take a beautiful drive through some gorgeous mountains today.  Sometimes I forget that Fall can be my favorite season.  I was lamenting last weekend that the weather had taken a change and that I forgot to bring a jacket for my son to the park.

This week, it's been a struggle to get him to wear a jacket or long pants.  He still thinks shorts and a T-shirt should carry him through the day.  If not for his cold, I wouldn't be opposed to "experiential learning" but the kid is so stubborn I'm not sure what it would take for him to admit that it was a good idea.

I'm reminded of when I went to high school wearing Birkenstocks in winter.  Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I guess in this way my son takes after me and not his Floridian father.  I used to roll around in snow in my bathing suit in my younger days.  Perhaps I should be grateful I live in a warmer climate.

I found myself buying Christmas Cards this week (who can't beat 75% off and free shipping?).  It was alarming to me how fast time flies and my son is talking about, "Halloween, Thanksgiving and then Christmas".  He wants them to come one day after the other.  How age changes perspective...  I want to slowly savor the Fall like a good pumpkin spice latte.  Cliche, I know, but this time of year wants me to savor, to slow down, to appreciate the changes and hold onto the present.

The beauty of those mountains remind me of this timeless world, this place where everyone and everything seems to move faster and faster, but God's gift of beauty, though it changes with the seasons is solid as a rock.  There are so many things in this world that can lead us to anxiety and fear, but for me, looking at those mountains and taking a deep breath holds me in one thing that's timeless, God's love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment