Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Mommy, I love your Body..

"Mommy, I love your Body."  Yep, that's what my son said.  And after a pause, where I reminded myself that my four year old is not a Freudian, I added, "I love it too!"

In an era of body image problems and never being "perfect enough," I thought it was pretty good that my son just had a straightforward look at things.  "Do you love any particular part," I asked.  "Nope- I just love you all.  Your body is good."  I was wondering if this was somehow a lesson at school that came up or where this all was coming from.  Then I remembered how he says I'm the best snuggler and cuddler.  Last week I was at a meeting late and almost missed his bedtime.  My husband suggested that he could cuddle with my son and my son said, "Daddy- that would give me a sad face."

I'm happy that my son is having an appreciation of the gift of the body.  The gift of snuggles, cuddles and tickles is a wonderful gift I was given by my family and am happy to pass on to my son.  In a world where I worry about what body images and inappropriate things my son will potentially encounter, it's a good start if he knows our bodies are good and gifts of God.  I've tried to slowly instill this in him and I've taught him the words, "Respect my parts."  Sometimes he says it just to be a stinker and get out of much deserved tickles, but I respect him none the less.  If he can learn the simple lesson of respecting his parts and respecting other peoples parts, I have to imagine he's off to a halfway decent start.

No comments:

Post a Comment