Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Marian Consecration for Children

I went through the St Louis de Montfort True Consecration To Mary about 12 years ago.  My husband and I journeyed together through 33 Days to Morning Glory by Fr. Michael Gaitley at the beginning of marriage and have subsequently renewed our vows.

It is safe to say that the first time I consecrated myself to Jesus through Mary, I didn't have a full realization of what I was doing.  The books and meditations were very helpful, but it can be conceptually difficult to understand.  Each renewal and spiritual journey that is taken has led my husband and I closer to Jesus, through Mary.

I wouldn't have thought it was very likely to explain this devotion to a child, especially a 6 year old.  I received a book by Carrie Gress called, Marian Consecration For Children: Bringing Mary to Life in Young Hearts and Minds.

This is a wonderfully written book.  I will admit that the first time I tried to read this book to my son, we lasted about 1 day.  He just wasn't ready for it at age 5 and I didn't want to push him.  We gave it a second try this past fall and he was ready for it.  So were my husband and I.  This was a great spiritual exercise for our family to travel on together.

Each day has a story, sometimes a saint story or a story regarding great literature, then some discussion questions (we rotated through this, mom, dad and child so everyone participated) a "Did You Know" and then prayer to finish the day.  Each day was less than a 10 minute obligation and we amazingly were consistent with our reading.  Our consistency I think was a fruit of our engagement in the book.

I highly recommend this book and think it is just as beneficial for adults as for kids who want to continue to grow their relationship with Christ through our Holy Mother.





“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

No comments:

Post a Comment